Skip to main content

Recycling cardboard boxes & my laser . . .

I'm getting Valentine ready. Instead of wood, acrylic or leather, I will be using my laser to cut left over cardboards from Christmas. Amazon, Dremel & white shirt boxes were used for these particular projects.

You know what's great about crafting with cardboard boxes? It's so light in weight. That makes it great for hanging or placing in or on items without weighing it down. If it falls you don't have to worry about it breaking. Don't ask how I know. 😂



I opened up the boxes at the seams and then cut it down to a size that would fit in the bed of my laser. I used my heavy duty scissors to cut the cardboard. It's so easy with these scissors. They were a wonderful stocking stuffer from my husband, as was the Dremel. 😍



This is the backing to the lace hearts that were freshly cut on the laser.
 


For the top layer I used left over shirt boxes from Christmas. I liked using this because the boxes are white, so it made things go faster since I didn't have to paint them. I did paint one pink. But of course you can do what works for you.

 


A little glue was used to attach the white lace on top of the brown cardboard backing. 


 
I only used the heart insert on one heart on the banner, but I can save them and use them for another project. They would make great gift tags and would also be great for journaling.



Amazon boxes were used to cut the pieces for this project. 



Originally the 14 was going to be painted in an ombre effect, but then I changed my mind in the middle of it. I ended up using paper gold leaf foil instead.



 
I'm not sure why, but recycling boxes this way has been so much fun. The trick to not having a soggy cardboard when painting is to do very light layers. I use a make-up sponge to lightly dab on the first two coats.



Here is one coat of gesso plus paint mixed together and sponged on to the backer. I haven't finished this piece just yet. I'm hoping I have some time this weekend to work on it.



Here are a few close ups of my projects. I added some wood beads to some pink yarn I had to make a garland. I'm not finished with my mantel, but love how it's coming along.




Well, that's all I've got. Until next time, keep crafting and stay well! 

-Maddie











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life handing out lemons .... (Made from cardboard boxes)

  Hi there!  This sign is fun and so cute. I did this using cardboard boxes from deliveries.  I'm not sure why, but I sure do love using cardboard boxes. Maybe it's because I love the way the sides look and I love how light it is. Best of all, I love how easy it is to work with. I love it all!  Well, here it is . . .  Materials used: cardboard boxes, Apple Barrel acrylic paint & some glue. I know this was short and sweet but I hope you have enjoyed.  Until next time    -Maddie  #iplaywithfire  #lasermade  #glowforge  #cardboardboxes  #lifehandingoutlemons  #applebarrel

Redoing Ceramic Garden Mushrooms

Hello! I have decided to redo this cute ceramic garden mushroom. It was hanging out in my front yard for a few years, but it's slowly not looking so great. Not one white spot left on any of the mushrooms. It was time for it to go.  Since this piece was outside, it was subject to a lot of the outdoor elements.  This means it needed a good cleaning. May I also suggest doing that outside. I didn't and yeah, I should have. 😉 Next, I wiped this down with some rubbing alcohol so that I could add a coat of gesso by Liquitex.  Side note: This one bottle has definitely seen better days. 😂 For now, I have decided to just redo the top portion of the mushrooms. I could always go back and do the bottom portion if I change my mind. So for now, just the mushroom tops are being gesso-ed and prepped for paint. 😊   This is it before being sealed. To get these colors, I mixed paints I had on hand. I'm trying to use up some of my older paints so this just works for me right now. 😅  Many co

Halloween Fabric Lavender Sachets

Hey Y'all!   I've been trying to use up a lot of the fabrics that I have because, as of lately, I've been feeling like a little hoarder. 😅 One way I chose to use them was making some cute sachets to put in our dresser drawers. Is that what they're called? 😂. Each side was a different pattern and I love the way they came out. They're so fun! Anthony's French Lavender is what was used since I still had some on hand from another project.  I think I will make some for Christmas. Can you imagine adding some festive scents that make you get excited and feel that Christmas spirit? How exciting! Thanks for popping in and until next time - Maddie